St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
Bay City, Texas
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church, 2200 Avenue E, Bay City, TX, 77414 (979) 245-2557
Saint Mark’s was organized as a mission in May 1895, a few months after Bay City itself was established as a town and as the seat of Matagorda County.
Previously, the county seat had been located on the southern edge of the county at the coastal town of Matagorda. A large part of the congregation of the
oldest Episcopal church in Texas, Christ Church of Matagorda, became the founding members of the church in Bay City in 1894 and 1895.
Bishop Kinsolving placed the cornerstone of the present building on November 23, 1910 after a hurricane destroyed the original building.
The building was completed early in 1911, and consecrated the same year. This was the time when most of the lovely stained glass windows, which adorn
St. Mark’s Church, were installed. The windows memorialize lives of men and women linked with the development of Bay City and Matagorda County.
Names of some of their descendants are to be found on St. Mark’s roles today.
St. Mark’s church has been blessed over the years by generous donations from parish members and friends of St. Mark’s church to
our Endowment Fund. Our Endowment Fund in incorporated under the applicable county and state laws covering these types of
funds. The Endowment Fund is governed by a board of five people. Three of the board members are members of the church and are
elected for staggered, three-year terms. Ex-officio members of the board are the rector and the church treasurer. The board
generally meets twice a year with the portfolio representative from Wells Fargo Bank. Minutes are kept of these meeting and
occasional reports on Fund business are given to the vestry.
We are the Body of Christ
honoring and pursuing our call
The Episcopal Church (USA)
Welcome to the Diocese of Texas